Expertise as a lawyer
Dr. Annemarie Westpfahl (née Bloß) has in-depth knowledge and many years of experience as a lawyer. She is a specialist in intellectual property law and completed her doctorate on a topic related to competition law.
Dr. Westpfahl advises national and international companies on the transfer of software rights and industrial property rights, such as trademarks, patents, domains and design rights. One focus of her work is the drafting and negotiation of license agreements of all kinds. Her area of expertise also includes drafting non-disclosure agreements, in particular for joint venture or cooperation agreements in the field of intellectual property and innovative technologies.
Dr. Westpfahl also advises clients on the legally compliant design of online platforms, e.g. the drafting of the imprint as well as the drafting of online general terms and conditions, both in the B2B and in the B2C area. Dr. Westpfahl also advises clients on issues of trademark, design and copyright law as well as unfair competition law.
Her clients include IT and technology companies as well as companies from the consumer goods and media industries.
Dr. Westpfahl regularly gives internal and external lectures, conducts client trainings and is a guest lecturer at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg for the IP Center's Summer Program.
Dr. Westpfahl graduated from the University of Göttingen with a degree in law. She completed her legal clerkship at the Higher Regional Court in Hamburg with initial focus on intellectual property law at the Regional Court in Hamburg. She spent her elective station in Singapore. She began her legal career at CMS Hasche Sigle. Further positions at major law firms in Munich and then again in Hamburg followed. Most recently, she spent 11 years with DLA Piper in Hamburg as Counsel. In March 2022, Dr. Westpfahl joined the Hamburg office of ROSE & PARTNER.
Dr. Annemarie Westpfahl received her doctorate from Prof. Veelken in Erlangen for a thesis on a competition law topic entitled "Die wettbewerbsrechtliche Zulässigkeit von Preisausschreiben und Gewinnspielen." Since 2007, Dr. Westpfahl has held the title of specialist in intellectual property law.
Dr. Annemarie Westpfahl likes to spend her free time in the stable with her horse. She loves walks with her family and dog, as well as nature and exercise in general. She also does regular fitness training, enjoys traveling (as much as possible), loves gardening and reading books. Good nutrition is important to her and she very much enjoys a nice evening out with friends. Dr. Westpfahl spent her elementary school years in Turkey.
- Certified specialist for intellectual property rights, 2007
- Doctorate at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Dr. jur., 2004 with Prof. Winfried Veelken
- Admitted to the Hanseatic Bar in May 2001
- Legal clerkship in Hamburg, 2nd state examination January 2001
- Law studies at the University of Göttingen, 1st state examination May 1998
Dr. Annemarie Westpfahl has been a guest lecturer at the IP Center at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg since the IP Summer Program (Licensing Transaction in Intellectual Property) was established.
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- LES Germany, Licensing Executives Society Germany
- Hanseatic Bar Association Hamburg
- Die wettbewerbsrechtliche Zulässigkeit von Preisausschreiben und Gewinnspielen, Peter Lang Verlag, 2004.
- Use caution with sublicenses in the German Fashion industry, Law à la Mode, November 2015 (mit Alexa Mattfeld).
- Unhappy news for trade marks travelling through Germany, Law à la Mode, April 2013 (mit Dr. Dittmer)
- Wann telefonisches Nachfassen teuer wird, (silicon.de/41573910/wann-telefonisches-nachfassen-teuer-wird), 15.10.2012 (mit Wenger)
- Zum Kopplungsverbot für Preisausschreiben und Gewinnspiele – Anmerkung zum Vorlagebeschluss des BGH an den EuGH zu § 4 Nr. 6 UWG vom 05.06.2008 AfP 2008, 484 – 487)
- Nach dem Placania-Urteil des EuGH: Das Aus für den geplanten Lotteriestaatsvertrag der deutschen Bundesländer? AfP 2007, 99 – 101 (mit Melanie Künzel)
- Das Sportwettenurteil des BVerfG vom 28.03.2006 im Lichte des Gemeinschaftsrechts, AfP 2006, 433-437 (mit Schmittmann)